"Her hands are busy spinning thread, her fingers twisting fiber." Proverbs 31:19 NLT

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Another Wrap - "Everyday Wrap"

I just finished another wrap. However, this one was started before the last one was ever started. This one is very easy but once you've gotten it stitched together, you have to pick up stitches to make the ruffle. I sort of stalled at that point and made this shawl instead. Once I had completed the Faraway, So Close shawl, I thought I better not leave this unfinished project laying around. I might need the needles.

I first saw the Everyday Wrap on Pinterest and then located it here on Ravelry. It looked so elegant but everyone said it was easy.


I had some yarn I had gotten on eBay that was shipped from Turkey. I had another project in mind for it - a shawl woven on a triangular loom. But when I got the yarn, it was sooooo thin, weight #1, that I wasn't sure what to do with it.



I had tried it with a lace pattern but soon discovered the piece was knitting up very small. I know I'm a tight knitter but this was ridiculous. I looked closely at the tiny label and discovered that the yarn had 30% Kid Mohair, 45% Merino Wool, 10% Viscose, 10% Polyester AND 5% ELASTAN!  HAHA on me! It is very nice yarn, however, and I like the ice blue color AND the stretch. So I decided to try it with the Everyday Wrap. I just cast on 60 stitches instead of the 52 in the pattern. (It would have been better with 70 stitches, I think.) You knit a long 48 inch rectangle, bring it together as directed by the pattern, stitch it up and then pick up the number of stitches you cast on and begin knitting the ruffle. Ah, the ruffle - isn't it just simply delicious:


It is knitted onto those picked up stitches in stockinette but every knit side, you K1 in front and back, thereby doubling the number of stitches every other row. On Pinterest one of the comments was that the ruffle should be knit a bit longer so that's what I did - just two extra rows, which gave me 480 stitches before I bound off. But by doubling the stitches again and again, it just formed into this ruffle. I suppose that's not news to most knitters. But I'd never done that and was so pleased with the results.

Oh, and because of the elastic yarn, I still did not get the piece to the prescribed dimensions of 13" wide.  But, because of the elastic yarn, I was able to use a lot of pins and block it to the correct width. (It is blocked before you seam it up and make the ruffle.)  I'm very pleased with it.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!! Love the ruffle, the color--everything!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the encouragement of your comments.